What to expect when travelling for business after Brexit

Posted on Posted in blogs

The impact of Brexit on your day-to-day business travel is not as severe as you might think.

To make things easy, we’ve summarised what you will need to be aware of at different stages of the journey.

All of the information below is relevant to individuals travelling to Europe for business from the UK after 1 January 2021.

For advice on personal or leisure travel, visit the UK Government website.

The UK Government site has a simple tool for you to check what you need to do in a range of more complex circumstances, for example if you are a non-UK National.


What actions do business travellers need to take when travelling to Europe after Brexit?

Before travel

If travelling from the UK to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, but excluding Ireland, from 1 January 2021, you will need to:

  • Check your passport has at least 6 months validity and is less than 10 years old. Click here.
  • If your passport does not meet the above requirements, you will need to renew it. Click here.
  • The EHIC card will continue to be valid in EU countries, however we recommend getting travel insurance with medical cover too. In Norway, you can use your passport to get necessary healthcare. Click here.
  • Check if your mobile phone operator will offer free roaming, to avoid charges. A new law means you will be notified when you reach a £45 spend and you will need to opt-in to continue using mobile data.
  • If you are staying for less than 90 days in any 180-day period, you will not need a visa to visit most countries. But check the entry guidance specific to the country you are visiting, as some may require a visa and/or other documents. Click here.

You may also need to:

Check your qualifications are recognised. Click here.

Check if you need to tell HMRC or pay tax whilst you work abroad. Click here.

If you plan on driving, you will not need an international driving permit (IDP) unless you have a paper license or a license issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man. If you are taking your own car, you will need an insurance ‘green card’ and a ‘GB’ car sticker. Click here.


During travel

  • Brexit should not disrupt travel between countries beyond what is ordinary and to be expected, for example delays, cancellations and changes
  • Air passenger rights, including receiving compensation for flight delays, will still apply


On arrival

  • Use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when passing through Border Control
  • Be prepared to show a return ticket or onward journey
  • Be prepared to show you have enough money for your stay


Your Travel Counsellor will be able to provide more information on your specific circumstances and will remain available to amend your travel requirements as required.